INTRODUCTION TO THE SPECTROHELIOSCOPE (SHS) NETWORK
Fredrick Veio, July 2011
The home page of spectrohelioscope has 121 short articles. I numbered
the titles of the sentences and have detailed some of the topics, as photos
or text, whatever. You can find my discussions and photos more easily.
You do not need a degree in physics or chemistry in order to understand
the basics of the SHS, but about two years of college physics, chem and
astronomy are desirable. You do not need lots of shop tools, just basic
hammer, saws, vice, drill press, and so on. So do not worry. Just basic
wood construction, simple materials, will save much money and time.
There are some entry errors over the years, so I put error or nothing,
whatever, after the beginning of the article.
THE SPECTROHELIOSCOPE NETWORK
1. Fred's comments on Zeeman lines. Fred's comments on Zeeman lines
2. Fred's May 2010 solar magnetograph with a SHS, ten pages text and
3. Solar features: 13 professional images, good.
4. The sun's Fraunhofer lines; title error of spectrum, should be Veio
SHS in 1972, Klass Honders, Veio spectroscope of 3 pages, Manning's
SHS; and title error of profile, should be Manning's SHS, Honders,
Veio spectroscope plans of 1990, PEP spectroscope of 3 pages.
5. Useful information of human eye and SHS.
6. Zeeman lines, summary, Higgins, Veio, Rousselle, one page.
7. Annotated gallery of SHS by amateurs of the world: 25 images; Veio,
Honders, Manning, Severijins, Beeker, Planetman, Ohnishi, Rousselle,
Cort, Groski, Young, Higgins, Barthelemy, Marcon, Lovato, Shivak,
Mruk, Florentino, Poecke, Glitsch, Rushford, Westland, Ohnishi.
8. Solar images from SHS by amateurs: 12 images, Honders, Grigsby,
Rousselle, Perry, Manning, Lille.
9. Several coelostat designs by Veio, Marcon, Beeker, photos.
10. Professional equipment and photos: Yerkes Obser., 1974 H alpha
photos by U.S.A.F., Veio at Mt. Wilson 1981, Astronomical League
booklet, Dr. R. Dunn, etc.
11. Solar images by professional, ditto above and new stuff.
12. SHS timeline, history of SHS from Hale 1924 to 2002.
13. Highlights from SHS Forum.
SPECTROHELIOSCOPE THEORY AND DESIGN
14. Veio's plans, 2008, solar spectroscope, 12 inch (300mm) f.l.,
15. Fred Veio's 119 page book The SHS, free download.
16. Disregard, a mess.
17. Veio's article SHS Designs, nine pages, in plain text.
Quick notes on building a SHS.
18. David Lyon's synopsis on Solar Spectroscopy, 8 pages.
19. M. Hill, Dual Grating Prominence Telescope, four pages.
20. W. J. Semerau's SHS, five pages, 1958.
21. G. F. Frazier's SHS, 1974.
22. Coelostat, one page text.
23. Theory of diffraction gratings, error, Russian stuff.
24. Determination of the blaze wavelength, three pages.
25. C. Palmer's 143 page Grating Handbook, announcement.
26. Coronagraphs, one page text and drawing.
27. Synthesizers. Entry error, nothing.
28. Fred Veio, selecting optics for a solar spectroscope, 3 pages, 2002.
29. Bare bones solar spectrograph, Veio, 1972, violet spectrogram.
30. Fred's visual acutiy and factors to consider in SHS.
31. Fred's notes on solar magnetic fields: Veio, very large solar spec-
troscope, Dec. 2002, 17 photos; Veio, visual acuity; Pettit prisms, 2002;
Veio, solar magnetic fields, June 2002; Veio, photo 16 inch f.l.(300mm)
solar spectroscope;Veio, Sky and Telescope, Jan.1969,SHS; three page
drawings of Young synthesizer; Veio, Journal B.A.A., Feb., 1975, SHS,
photos and text.
32. Fred's notes of visual brightness on solar disk in SHS.
33. Ondrejov Observatory, Czech, multi-wavelength spectroscope, lovely.
34. Fred's large (rebuilt) spectroscope, 2004, pictures by P. Kobetz.
35. PlanetMan's SHS.
36. Fred's notes: Petitt prisms; very large spectroscope, 2002; visual
acuity;Pettit prisms; solar mag fields; Veio 16 inch f.l. (400mm)spectro-
scope; Sky and Telescope, 1969, SHS; Journal B.A.A., 1975, SHS.
37. G. Hale's SHS, ATM book, vol. 1, SHS.
38. Ditto of 36 above.
39. Some alternative SHS designs, George Haig, two pages, Journal
B.A.A., vol 108, p. 6, 1998.
40. A new SHS, Brian G. Manning, Journal B.A.A., vol.92, p. 112, 1982.
41. Optical improvement in SHS, E. Pettit, two separate Anderson prisms.
42. H. R. Hatfield, Sevenoaks SHS, nine pages, part I, 1988.
43A. H. R. Hatfield, modified SHS, part 2, 1994.
43B. Veio, rebuilt SHS, 0.1A passband, one page, ATM Journal, 1996.
44. Groski's solar prominence scope.
45. Rousselle SHS, rebuilt, 2002, excellent.
46. Ivan Glitsch. 47.Honders, Grigsby, Rousselle, Perry,Manning photos.
48. Brian Manning's SHS, one spectroheliogram, drawing of Doppler
shift with excellent spectrogram of Na lines.
49. Fred's warning on gratings: text, comparisons, comments.
50. Selecting optics for a solar spectroscope: Veio spectroscope,
16 inch f.l. (400mm), four pages, 2002.
51. Surplus Shed, to 69 for optical companies and quality optics.
70. Yahoo, SHS Forum, Fred Veio host, photo of Fred with front of very
large solar spectroscope and heliostat on home page.
71. Leonard Higgins' SHS.
72. Various web sites to 84.
85. Medieval solar astronomy, India.
86. Medieval Solar astronomy, India.
87. SHS, Hale, 1926, to 91, SHS, Hale, 1929. Three of his original papers.
A fourth one not mentioned, it is moving prism SHgraph mode, good.
92. Solar spectrum, Paris observatory in France, BASS2000, excellent.
93. Reflective spectroscopic slit, M. Gavin, SHS.
95. Solar eclipse of 2006.
96. Solar spectrum, profile of photosphere, excellent, Paris observatory.
97. Solar rotation Doppler shift, Rousselle spectrogram, excellent.
98. Sun spot spectra, Rousselle.
99. SHS, Camiel Severijn, the Netherlands, excellent.
100. to 102, C. Buil LHIRES III SHgraph mode.
103. SHS by Leonard Higgins, 1998 Merit Award at Riverside Conference.
In 1999, SHS partly rebuilt, Veio and Higgins observed first Zeeman line.
Year 2002 Veio and Higgins identified Zeeman line wavelengths. Year
2003 Veio observe Zeeman line with very large solar spectrscope.
106 to 109, Solar spectrum atlas in color, Rousselle, France, excellent.
112. Zeeman effect.
121. The SHS.
End of the SHS web site.
A Spectrohelioscope Timeline
Click here to see highlights from the Spectroheliscope Forum
part 1 (1988) and part 2 (1994)" in PDF (thanks to David Groski) Fred Veio's article on "Rebuilding the 60mm Spectrohelioscope" in PDF (c. 1983) David Groski's Solar Prominance Scope Phil Rousselle's SHS (Wow!)
Surplus Shed for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
China Daheng Corp. is an inexpensive source for gratings and other optics
Sterling Resale Optics for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
BSC Optics for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
Apogee Optics for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
CVI quality laser optics
Edmund Scientific for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
Melles Griot laser optics
New Focus components and research quality optics
Newport Corporation for the serious hobbyist or experimenter to browse around
Oriel A great source for filters and specialized optics
ThorLabs components and research quality optics
Edward Leibhardt, President, 9416 West Bull Vally Rd.,P.O. Box 1030
Woodstock, IL 60098, USA; Phone: (815)338-6768; Fax: (815)338-7167
Jobin-Yvon, gratings and equipment
The Yahoo! Spectrohelioscope Forum (This is the main discussion forum used by Fred Veio, David Groski, David Lyon and other contributors to this site)
EAS talk slides at
Voice recording, right click link below and save, if you want to save the audio file to your disk.
NASA's Solar Data Analysis Center (current events and news on the Sun)
Papers from the Hale erra:
The Spectrohelioscope by Hale 1926PASP___38___96H.pdf by George E. Hale
The spectrohelioscope Hale 1926Obs____49__372H.pdf George E. Hale
The spectrohelioscope and its work PART I History, instruments, Adjustments, and Methods of Observation by George E. Hale
The spectrohelioscope and its work PART II by George E. Hale
The spectrohelioscope and its work PART III by George E. Hale
Links added by Mike Rushford
wpo - a reflective spectroscopic slit & its application
solar corona Polarization observation
Solar Type spectrum
Solar rotation doppler shift
Sun Spot spectra
LHIRES III IN SPECTROHELIOGRAPH MODE
Long slit Intermediate resolution Spectrograph for Astronomy
The SpectroHelioScope by Leonard Higgins and Fred Veio
Filter of Lyot.
Light and polarization.
Solar spectrum Atlas
Blue to green visible spectrum image
Green to Red visible spectrum
Blue to Red visible spectrum
Chris Westland's Incomplete SHS projects
El Cheapo Tooling for Curve Generating
EYEPIECES - DISTORTION
WHAT IS A MTF CURVE ?
WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF OBSTRUCTION ?
DOES THE OBSTRUCTION HAVE LESS EFFECTS IN CCD THAN IN VISUAL ?
Updates by Mike Rushford 2011-11-20